Transgender Surgery Evaluations
Dr. Nyamora provides assessments and evaluations for transgender and gender variant clients whose surgeons require a letter from a mental health professional to proceed with surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Evaluations
He also provides bariatric surgery assessments and evaluations.
Dr. Nyamora provides short and long-term psychotherapy to children, adolescents and adults in Berkeley, Pinole and Sacramento, California. His main interest is assisting clients in living more fulfilling and balanced lives mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Dr. Nyamora works best with clients who are ready and motivated to shift something in their lives but need the extra support and space to figure out the next best steps and overcome any fears or anxieties around making changes. His areas of specialty include:
- Sports psychology and work with athletes who are dealing with sports or other life challenges or trying to improve their performance – especially around finding balance between sports and the rest of life, overcoming injuries, and reducing anxiety
- Incorporating healthy habits – sports and nutrition related and working with people who are ready to improve their physical health
- Immigration and acculturation – working with African immigrants and others
- Working with business owners, self-employed individuals and entrepreneurs – around reaching business goals, finding life/work balance
- Career concerns, changes and midlife re-evaluations and help for those who need a self-funded sabbatical (or break) or want to switch to self-employment
- Sexual orientation, gender and gender identity issues
- Cultural and ethnic identity
- Depression, anxiety and stress management
- Intimacy and relationship concerns – especially improving communication
- Work with first generation college students, older college students and other “non-traditional” students
Furthermore, his work with children and adolescents covers the following areas:
- Helping high school athletes decide on their future athletics and education goals as well as finding balance and reducing stress
- Adoption – including cross racial adoption
- Working with transgender and gender variant children and their families
- School difficulties
- Peer and family relationship concerns
- Individuation and identity development
- Depression and anxiety
Dr. Nyamora incorporates psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, feminist and multicultural theories and concepts in his practice.
Fit Family System and Family Sports Groups
Dr. Nyamora provides the following groups and products for families:
- Parenting groups based on the Fit Family System for parents who are trying to improve their children’s health due to a medical classification as overweight or obese
- Fit Family Sports Programs – for families who want to get their kids more active and healthy
Sports Training Services
Dr. Nyamora provides individual coaching for running events including 5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon and triathlon events. He works with beginners and experienced athletes. He has a gentle approach to help beginners who may be intimidated by running to simply start walking, swimming, biking or hiking or to figure out what activities they enjoy. He also works with experienced athletes to help them refine their goals, improve their performance or to help them rediscover the joy in their sports. He focuses on both the physical and mental skills needed to enjoy and pursue sports and movement. You can check out the groups/classes for athletes. Contact him for more information.