Dr. Nyamora talks about his Philosophy
I believe that one of the most difficult tasks of life is accepting ourselves fully and honoring all our experiences, especially those we view as negative, shameful, beyond our control. Our personal experiences, individual psychology, families, and cultural/social experiences shape us in ways that we may find empowering or negative.
One of the challenges in therapy and life is finding the right balance between true acceptance of our experiences and ourselves and commitment to making changes that enhance the quality of our lives, relationships and community connections.
One of the most important tasks in therapy is determining what’s working in your life, what’s not, and finding deep and honest ways to live in a way that honors your potential, abilities and who you are.
In therapy we do two main things:
- Create a space for reflection, where you can be yourself and explore what you want to understand, achieve or overcome
- Help you take action that will move you towards living a more fulfilling, healthy and happy life
I provide short and long-term psychotherapy and psychological evaluations to children, adolescents and adults in the following California cities: Berkeley, Pinole and Sacramento.
My main interest is assisting clients in living more fulfilling and balanced lives mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
My areas of specialty include working with the following populations and issues:
- Working with athletes
- Sports psychology
- Immigration and acculturation
- African Immigrants
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual clients
- Transgender/Transsexual clients
- Depression and anxiety
- Children and Adolescents
- Stress management for driven people e.g. athletes, graduate students, entrepreneurs
Read more about my areas of speciality and services.
I incorporate psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, feminist and multicultural theories and concepts in my practice.